Tuesday 30 September 2008

groundnut soup(Ghana style)





I cooked some groundnut(peanut) soup with chicken today. The trouble with this soup is you have to siphon a lot of oil off. The soup brings out all the oil in the peanuts and when You add the chicken..... well, you can always use skinless chicken. It's best eaten with Fufu. But you can have it with gari, rice, yam, kenkey, (a kinda sour corn mash),banku( super-thick corn porridge), sweet potatoes, even bread if you want. My friend Eni who is Nigerian and I have decided to exchange foods every wed (when we meet at the sports centre). She's bringing me moimoi which is a bean dish from Nigeria and I'm taking her some of my 'Nkate-nkwai'(twi), Nketie Wonu'(Ga) aka groundnut soup. That way we can sample dishes from each other's country.
Going through my hair I've discovered a few locs on the edges that completely unraveled-after 8mths!! I thought I was supposed to have 'African' hair as I'm all african. Actually I have a great- great grandfather on my mother side who was dutch (he was the governor hmmm.....)and some suspected arab ancestry on my father side, so I have them to blame for this state of affairs. Fortunately I have 99.9% african blood,so most of my hair is locked in spite of its loose coily texture in places. I managed to track my loctitian today and she has graciously inserted me in her hectic schedule for friday. Phew!Sorry about that big forehead and looking bug eyed in the above pics, I was trying to show the growth at my hairline. My hairline is gradually improving, for this I give God all the glory.

7 comments:

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Funny how angles change everything! I hadn't even realised it was you!! I wonder if the banku is similar to pap/sadza..Back home, do they ever eat it with their hands-no spoons?

anthia-ofo said...

Yeah,when I take pics of myself the angle can make me look pretty scary!LOL Yeah, it's like pap. My south african friend(married to a Ghanaian)makes some. Back home they eat it with their hands.But my dad eats it with a spoon. He eats everything with cutlery.However, people say it doesn't taste the same unless you use your fingers.

wonderdust78 said...

Hmmmmm Looks tasty.

Anonymous said...

That soup looks soooo good!!! Are you using any product on your edges to help with the growth?

anthia-ofo said...

Meimeika, I delivered 1/2 that soup to my friend and my daughters insisted they wanted some today - so we had 1/2 a bowl each!I don't put anything on my edges. I just massage it when I remember.

KnottyAuthor said...

ok you need to go to custom and add the widget that allows people to track ur blog..so i can get ur updated blog posts,lol!!! i love your blog and i want more African recipes! girl what a blessing to know WHO you are. life is hard enough and crazy for us in the states due to history's dismantling of our origin.

anthia-ofo said...

Ok Chele, y'know I'm very computer challenged. Doing this blog was an achievement. Yes, we africans take for granted the fact that we know where we're from. But AAs have such diverse backgrounds and they take things to a whole 'nother level, we just love it. Don't forget, you can 'adopt' me as your sister. Maybe one day you can come visit Ghana.