Saturday 5 July 2008

sisterlock extensions and snobbery?

Did you know that sisterlocks could have extensions added? Not officially of course, but it can be done. I was amazed that the sista's hair looked totally natural. I believe she's coming out with a how-to video. Perhaps those who have a horror of starting with short hair will be persuaded to abandon chemicals and start this way. Except I don't think they can be called sisterlocks. They will have to be called microloc extensions or something. Which brings me to a debate on NP about starting locs with permed hair and sisterlocks disrespect or snobbery, depending on which side of the fence you're on. Some veterans were totally against starting locs with perm bc, the whole point in going natural is to get rid of the lye. Others felt it was a way to transition gently to all natural hair bc not everyone feels ready to do the big chop. So the topic of sisterlock disrespect came up and the negative vibes sometimes sensed on the forum. Many people feel there is snobbery and a cult-like feel behind sisterlocks. Even some sls wearers. Personally, I have never encountered this, and chose sls bc I felt it would be a better locking system for me. Maybe it's bc I know I'll always do my thing if I believe it to be right, no matter what anyone says. Obviously many think it ridiculous that we(sls wearers) pay 100s of $$$ to get locs when we can get the same for little or nothing. I can understand the thinking. However, inspite of the fact that there was excellent info in the bradelocz e-bk, plus any additional info I got free on NP, I didn't quite achieve what I wanted. Microlocs required a bit more skill than I had and I certainly couldn't do it on my own head. With the particular look I wanted, I would have to pay someone to start me off right. Installing sisterlocks is a very tedious process. It has precise partings and patterns. I can't imagine standing over a head, for anything from 12 to 30hrs doing these intricate, tiny locs for any less than the going price. I'm very grateful that I learned about latching in the bradelocz bk. I've also learned so much on NP that I've become a loctitian. With the knowledge I now have, I won't have to take a sls class for $500 (£250), thanks to bradelocz. So I feel I have the best of both worlds. I do some DIY maintenance between visits to my consultant and I really don't feel I'm dependent on her. I only wish we would all respect each others choices.

6 comments:

Amba said...

Hey! I didn't realize you had a blogger blog as well. Great. It's easier for me to post here - although I just posted on your other blog. I'm curious to have an idea of what those extensions look like? Please send me a link if there is one.

anthia-ofo said...

Yes I just got it. I wondered if I was over-doing it with my locs and sisterlocks all over the internet. Still, I thought it'd be fun to have a blog dedicated to sls. I wonder if this borders on obsession. The link for the sls extensions is
http://public.fotki.com/blkbuttaflies/
Both she and her friend got them. I don't know how, but they look good.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by blog and leaving a nice comment. But also, I agree with you we should all respect each other's decision on the method chosen to lock. Rather it was a thousand dollars or for free, we should respect each other. A loc is a loc, right?

Best wishes,

JUST Euphoria said...

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog, your locks are slamming, and if I was in that frame of mind as to where I wasn't ready to B/C my perm and knew that extensions could be added with Sls I would consider that and wouldn't care if people accepted them as true Sls or not, all that matters is what I like.

Kandgoods said...

There will always be people to put a dampner on everything, but many not realising when they do. My advice- people should realise that what is ideal for one isn't necassarily workable for another. Such is life. Good blog!

Sweetamix3 said...

I've totally experienced sisterlock snobbery. I've had my sister locks for about 4 years. I started with permed hair and just an inch of new growth. I'd had extentions added during my initial loc installation. I do not advise this. It looked awful. I had them removed soon after. I added extensions myself after my locks had matured a bit and I've had them since. As my hair has grown out I've started cutting the extentions out. I've added extentions to my daughters locs and my sisters locks. They look totally natural and they lock just like your natural hair so you can keep them in perminately if you like. I've heard some negative comments from people about having extensions but I could care less. Its just a hair style. No one would ever know they were extensions until I decided to tell them. I even met Dr. Cornwell at a function last year and she couldn't tell they were extensions.