Tuesday 13 April 2010

The Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar


I've seen the question asked repeatedly. What's ACV? How do you use it? Is it safe to use ALL the time?

I have used ACV since I transitioned to natural hair in 2004. It worked wonders on the permed ends and kept my natural hair in top condition. You can use it as a rinse every time you wash your hair if it's say 1xweekly. The benefits of ACV are too numerous to mention here, but I will focus on what it does for the Hair and skin.

Rinsing with ACV will help balance the ph of your hair and remove build-up. Make a rinse by mixing 1/3 cup with 1 quart(1litre) water or 1tsp in 1 cup. The best vinegar to use is organic(especially if you're taking it internally).
To make a herbal rinse you can infuse a herb such as thyme,nettle, marigold, sage in boiling water for 2hrs and use that to dilute the acv. An easier way is to add a few drops of essential oils to increase the conditioning properties. The acids and enzymes in organic ACV kills the bacteria that causes dandruff scalp problems itchyness and hairloss. A good treatment for dandruff is to apply neat vinegar to your scalp, leave on for 1/2 hr and wash out. You can infuse vinegar with herbs that fight dandruff e'g stingin nettle,southernwood, and burdock root. You can also add some drops of tea tree oil to make it even more effective.
For Hairloss, apply 2 tbs full strength acv with a pinch of cayenne pepper to your scalp. Rub it in and leave for 1/2hr before you wash it . Before bed, mix 1tsp acv and 1 capsule royal jelly and pat onto the bald areas.
I personally use diluted vinegar to rinse my face and it really makes my skin so soft.
ACV is useful for controlling body odour, used neat underarm,elimnating the bacteria that cause it. It can knock out the bacteria that causes athletes foot, get rid of age spots, warts, restore bruised skin, soothe stings....you really need to research this if you want to know more. I hope this has helped clear up a few things about using Apple Cider Vinegar.


4 comments:

Gigglz said...

This is such a timely post for me. I was in my local grocery store and I saw ACV and picked it up on Tuesday. I tell myself dang..now I have to find out how to actually use it. Viola I read your post on Wed! Thank you!

anthia-ofo said...

You're welcome.

Anonymous said...

I started using ACV to rince my hair and my hair is getting better

Anonymous said...

wow this is just what I needed to see! Thanks!