Tuesday 20 January 2009

1st Full DIY Retightening





I'm in the process of retightening my locs, using a metal yarn needle. (I used pliers to widen it a little in the middle). I tried to get a micro sized LOC-KEY very similar to nappylocs tool, available here(UK),but in the end I decided a good ole yarn needle would do the job and indeed it's working alright. The handle is a little longer than I would like, other than that it's doing OK.




Now this (DIY)ReTi business. Whoever said it's not rocket science is right, but the potential to join locs and do the wrong rotations is HUGE. I've joined 6 locs and then spent a great deal of time un-joining 5. I gave up on the last one and just joined them. The thing is to make sure the loc to be tightened is ISOLATED- clip everything else out of your finger's way. I did most of the front using a mirror, but the back I'm doing mostly by feel, and that's when thing can go wrong. The advice is, do a little bit at a time. When you accidentally join locs, take a deep breath, rest for a few mins, pray, and then try to push the loc back through the gap you pulled it through. So far I've completed 3/4 of my head in 3 days doing a few sections at a time. I'm using a 3pt rotation which is supposed to be 12,9,6,9. Instead I was doing it backwards,but I've now settled on the 9,6,9,12 bc I find it the easiest on my arms and fingers. I hope to complete it today or tomorrow and will update when I'm done.

10 comments:

Natasha Dyer said...

Yes you can... and yes you will! Congrats on your efforts.

anthia-ofo said...

Thanks Queen, I saw your Reti on your blog and thought I better get my skates on. Isn't it just empowering to DIY?

Natasha Dyer said...

It is very empowering! Please keep us updated.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to retighten my whole head. I'm just soooo impatient. I do well until I start joining two, then four, then six, and by that time I'm calling my consultant in tears....sigh... One of my 2009 goals is to do a full self-retightening.

You, my friend, are doing well!!!!

anthia-ofo said...

Yep, I know that desperate feeling when you accidentally join locs. Undoing them requires some patience. You do get better at Not joining locs as you progress. Making up your mind to do only a little at a time really helps you not feel rushed.

z said...

Ooooooo! A metal yarn needle is something that I could probably use in the future if I ever needed a tool replacement. Thanks for sharing!

Nubian1 said...

Hi Ofo,

Stumbled on your website last week, you used to make a locking tool? Looked like it had two eyes and then you stopped producing them? So i thought i'd be in touch and ask you about them and low and below you came up with the yarn needle on your blog.

The funny thing is i was in Sainsburys on friday and i happen to see this yarn tool and thought 'too long and wont be able to get me locks through the eye' So from your post i shall purchase it widen the eye and see if i cant trim the length down a tad.

There you see you helped me already without having to reply directly to me.

Thanks

Maxizone said...

Wow, this is what I want to be able to do in the near future. Looks like you've cracked the technique. Must be a good feeling knowing you're not dependent on anyone else to do your hair. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I too am I Sisterlocked chick trying to find a way to DIY retightening but I can't seem to find any videos or outlets online to explain. I bought a NappyTool but I can't find anything online about DIY retightening, suggestions?

Nacole

anthia-ofo said...

Nacole, check out dewdrops tutorial http://kalia-dewdrop.blogspot.com/search/label/Videos
Scroll down to 'how to tighten p/t 1&2
She uses a nappyloc tool and makes it really simple.