Saturday 22 November 2008

You no longer have sisterlocks!

This is what a few sister's have been told b'cos they used a tool other than the sls tool to retighten their locs. Personally I dont really care what my locs are called. Apparently if you dont take the official retightening class, and learn to DIY, you suddenly get BOOTLEG sls.But surely anyone who's paid the money and sat for hours for the install has sls. How does another tool change the style? I mean if you do a 3pt 4pt R4 or whatever the pattern is you'll still be going in the same directions, even using an unofficial tool??? I wonder what my locs are then. Most of them are still sls, but I've used nappylocs tool and yarn needle and latch -hook to tighten a few around the edges. So I have SLS-nappylocs-latchook-fingertwisting locs. Like they say a loc is a loc is a loc. So what makes SISTERLOCKS? The size? the pattern? Or the tools? What about the products? What are your thoughts? Any Sls purist out there? Tell me what you think and why there seems to be such a fuss over this. At this rate, many people will simply piggyback off sls and so called 'step sls' will be appearing everywhere,b'cos many people use other tools, even those who've taken the class. It's all about ease and convenience. Besides, it's a good idea to learn to retighten, official class or not. If you don't live in the USA, or suddenly find you have no access to a consultant/trainee, you don't really care what your locs are called, as long as you know how to maintain them. And I know for a fact that it's not easy to take the class here(UK).My consultant has a fairly relaxed attitude about this, and I get the impression the UK consultants generally are,but I may be wrong. I've heard of situations where consultants refuse to monitor your hair any longer simply b'cos you broke the rule and DIYed without permission. There are blogs and youtubes teaching you how to tighten sisterlocks and locks in general, (even how to start locs with a tool) using step by step instructions. So if you get caught out, don't cut your locs, just look for an alternative and join the ever growing band of DIYers. At this point in time, I'm a semi-DIYer. I say semi, b'cos I have never retightened my whole head. But I repair or tighten any that need help. I like the thought of DIY, but don't fancy the many hours and aching arms that accompany it. However, I may try going to an official every other reTi, maybe that will suit me just fine.

6 comments:

Locs2Envy said...

It must be something in the air. I just posted a view days ago about this very same madness. I call my locs Nihuru's Knots now; not because I don't use the SL tool because my consultant does, but because I choose to disassociate myself from the snobbery.

anthia-ofo said...

Isn't that a shame? That awful attitude means sls is shooting itself in the foot.It's so divisive. Instead of the sls system spreading(as it should), it will get narrower and narrower as several people who initially started of sls-ed choose to maintain another way. The look will be exactly the same, but we'll be calling it something else. Human nature is so strange.Even in returning to our nappy roots, there must be the 'elite!' I can understand being strongly advised to adhere to the sls system to the letter for 'best' results, but to turn round and say to someone you no longer have sls bc of some tool or product is, just as you say - madness. Nihuru, I'm off to read your post!

KnottyAuthor said...

i love you sl's here on the blogroll. so down and so real. JUST keep it locked, sis!

anthia-ofo said...

Thanks Chele,someone's got to keep it real ..and sane! Anything that tries to keep people bound just irks me so much. I know you understand, that's why you chose DIY!

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Ofo, you must have been reading my blog,LOL. I also have a post about the same topic. Girl, Thats why I do not associate my self with such rubbish! I know what I paid for, reguardless if I use a plastic needle or a nappylock tool. It does not make a difference if I retighten my hair using a 4 or 3 pattern. I refuse to be inconvienced and give someone $35 an hour for something I could do myself.... I`am happy I made my video! The secret is out and women are empowering themselves because of it!

anthia-ofo said...

Well said Nubian! I've directed quite a few people(privately) to your blog/ fotki/videos as well as to the other brave ladies(you know who you are!) who have come out with step by step instructions on their blogs. Yes, women are taking matters into their own hands. I'm still baffled as to how a clever hair concept, meant to free women from bondage, should itself become another kind of bondage. Is it some bad apples in the barrel.Or are the 'powers that be' being given VERY BAD advice?